Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Summer that Wasn't

It is I, your ever-unreliable and oft nary posting blogmistress, Jenn O.  It does not escape me that there hasn't been a post since May. While I feel badly for letting things slip, I don't accept 100% of the responsibility here.  The Third Tuesday Book Club definitely took a summer break, but now with back-to-school also comes the new and refreshing spirit of "back-to-book club."

For a few weeks, I have had "blog post and organize book club," written on my to-do list.  So, I will start with a quick recap.

After reading Shilpi Somoya Gowda's The Secret Daughter in May, we read Justin Cronyn's The Passage.  A complete 180 from The Secret Daughter, this vampire-centric tale didn't feature any sparkly, mind-reading, bobcat-eating heartbreakers.  It was a raw vampire story that treated the condition as a disease.  It was a dense book, and sadly, I did  not have the time that this book truly commands to get through the story, although I did enjoy what I did manage to digest.

Following Cronyn's tale was the satirical peek into Canadian politics: Best Laid Plans by Terry Fallis.  This highlarious peek into Canadian politics was a light summer read; the perfect way to kick back in a Muskoka chair at the cottage.

Cassandra Clare's first of the Mortal Instruments Trilogy, City of Bones, was next up.  This teen fic novel put a new twist on the usual, introducing the concept of shadow hunters, downworlders, and the land of Idris—all hiding in plain sight among the rest of us—among the "mundies."  This book was like Twilight with less whining, so in that respect, I liked it.  However, I found it not compelling enough to pull me in and make me want to commit to the rest of the series.

So, going forward, in September we will be reading One Day by David Nichols.  The meeting will be on Sept. 20 at 7:30 at the usual spot.  In the back-to-book club spirit of organization, let's also re-visit the list and see who's coming up next for choices.

Sept 20: Ashleigh's choice.  One Day by David Nichols.

Oct 18: Christine's choice. Mazerunner by

Nov 15: Lynne's choice. TBA

Dec 20: Tentative Dinner Date.

Jan 17, 2012: Jenn's choice.  TBA

Lynn, please start thinking about your choice for November.  See everyone on the 20th!

Be excellent to each other.

No comments: